Friday, November 15, 2019

Mother’s Acting Strange by Casey Redmond



Mother’s Acting Strange
Something’s just not right
Last night I saw her
Dancing on the front lawn
In the pale moonlight.
When I mentioned it this morning
She said, ‘Don’t be silly
I was sleeping in my room.’
But she wouldn’t look me in the eye
And there were grass stains on her shoes.
Today she picked me up from school
In this long black cloak
And pointy hat
You know, we have a litter box downstairs
And we don’t even own a cat.

Mother’s Acting Strange
I don’t know if you’ve noticed it or not
But lately she’s been cooking beneath
The willow tree
In this big black smoking pot.
We used to have things like
Spaghetti and meatballs
Or maybe burgers and fries
Now it’s tongue of bat
And fenny snake
Or eye of newt surprise
You know how she says
Father’s away on business far
Well, when I tell you this
Don’t think I’ve gone mad
But there’s a white rat
In a cage down in the cellar
With a sign on it marked Dad.

Everything seems strange
Even at school, things aren’t right
You remember the kid
With the different colored eyes
Who used to pick on me
It seems he’s disappeared from sight
They say his parents are frantic
And the other day when
I went through my room
I found a frog in a shoe box
Underneath my bed with
One brown eye
And one eye blue.
When I mentioned it to Mother
She started laughing and said,
‘What a scream.’
Then she broke into a chorus
Of It’s Not Easy Being Green

Mother’s Acting Strange
Even watching TV
There’s no rest
Every night it’s.
Charmed or Bewitched
She says she likes
The first Darren best.
Now tonight she says
She’ll be home late
And that I should sweep
Out my room
But I’ve looked all over the house
And I can’t find the broom.

Mother’s acting strange

—Written by Casey Redmond

No comments:

Post a Comment