Monday, February 6, 2017

The Mystery Of Gary "Spider" Webb

I first ran across "The Cave" by Gary "Spider" Webb a few years ago on a digital compilation called, "Beats From Badsville". The album consisted of  a bunch of rare and strange 45s from The Cramp's (Lux Interior and Poison Ivy's) record collection.

Having always had a penchant for cheesy low budget records from the early sixties, I instantly fell in love with this recording.

The record came out on Bamboo Records back in 1961. Bamboo was one of the dozens of small independent record labels that popped up around Los Angeles as rock  n roll was taking off. Unlike most of the major labels at the time, the Indy labels seemed to put out just about anything they could  in hopes of making the charts or, at the very least, making the record company a couple of quick bucks.

I am not sure what exactly Bamboo's motive was by releasing this record but I am sure happy they did. Basically, "The Cave" is a combination of a Disney storybook record gone bad and The Sufaris' "Wipeout".
Gary "Spider" Webb (far left) with The
Hollywood Argyles.

The 45 acts out the story of two teenagers stuck inside of a cave. How they got in there no one knows, but they sure are having  trouble getting out. To make matters worse, they have been separated and can't find each other in the dark. And there's bats.

While the kids call for each other and scream, the musical accompaniment rocks in fine sixties fashion with a cool guitar lick and crazed drumming. The crazed drummer just happens to be, our hero, Gary "Spider" Webb.

Who exactly was Gary Webb? To tell the truth, I haven't been able to find much information.. From what I can find, he was a touring member of The Hollywood Argyles of "Alley Oop" fame. Althoug he toured to support the song, he apparently was not on the recording.

In addition to "The Cave", he also released a single called, "Drum City" on Donna Records a couple of years later. A very cool surfesque instrumental, it is a much more mainstream recording than his first release.
"Drum City" (1963) Donna Records

And that is pretty much all I know about the mysterious Gary "Spider" Webb. I ran across some comments about him on YouTube from a guy who claims to be his nephew. I tried to make contact but never received a reply.

Did Mr. Webb release more recordings? Did he do any session drumming on any records?. Who came up with the crazy idea for "The Cave"?

One of the stranger things I ran across recently was a recording called, "Science Friction Parts 1&2" by The Sci-Fis. It was released in 1964 on Era Records and is pretty much your standard early sixties instrumental. Except, about half way through part 1 of the recording, the guitarist and the drummer briefly go into a note for note ripoff of the riff that was played on "The Cave". Could the Sci-Fis drummer be you know who?

If you know Gary "Spider" Webb, please tell him how much I like his record. If you have any information on any of his recordings or anything else he was involved in, let me know. You can drop me a line at, rnrcasey@gmail.com

In the meantime, take a listen to, "The Cave". If you like the sound of a couple of distressed spelunkers  backed by So-Cals answer to Gene Krupa, you're gonna dig this record.

Also, for more information go to, The Mystery Of Gary "Spider" Webb, Part II

--Rock N Roll Casey  Casey's Website
  Shangri-La, Ohio

4 comments:

  1. Gary Webb's last known address was 816 Monterey Rd, Glendale, CA. Gary was also the drummer on Judy May by Boomer Castleman, the family has no contact with him since my grandparents died and he got the house! Gary was on the far left of the photo above; Gary was my uncle. My email is outlaw@radiooutlaw.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad, Dane Driscoll, was Gary’s Cousin. Son of Eileen Willoughby. Small world!

      Delete
  2. My Dad is Gary Webb’s Cousin. He was just telling me that he was listening to his music today and I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom said she and my dad were in a band with Gary Webb. This would be in the 1950's or maybe early 60's. My parents said a lot of things. But at the Glendale Car Show 10 or 15 years ago we ran into Gary. He and my mom took up a conversation as if they had talked last week, not 50 years earlier. On the bill at the car show was a surf band, maybe a Surfaris or Ventures revival. Gary claimed that, as a session drummer, it was him heard on the classic record of "Wipeout". I've heard that same claim from several other drummers! Both my parents have since passed so I can't get further details. Bill Turner

    ReplyDelete