Thursday, June 4, 2015

Coolest Book In The World #186: "Three Men Seeking Monsters" by Nick Redfern

Like most kids growing up in the seventies, I thought at some point in my adulthood I would load up in a cool looking van and go hunting for ghosts,. Alas, as I approach the perilous age of fifty I have, in fact, never had the opportunity to do so, but Nick Redfern has.

"Three Men Seeking Monsters" is Redfern's account of roadtripping around England in search of monsters, ghosts and other weird creatures. Accompanied by two equally eccentric friends (or "mates", as they call them in Britan) they spend probably as much time drinking in pubs as they do haunted houses. Think Hunter S. Thompson meets Scooby Doo.

Redfern is a self described ufologist and cryptozooologist and has written a slew of books on flying saucers, monkey-men and NASA conspiracies. But you don't have to be a true believer to enjoy the book because it is more "On The Road" than "Mothman Prophesies" and Redfern actually has a sense of humor and doesn't take the subject matter too seriously. Plus they drive a cool van (well, it's actually a camper, but still...)

As far as ghosts, aliens and monsters go, I would describe myself as a cheerful agnostic. I doubt that any of these things actually exist but I think it would be pretty cool if they did. And if anyone has a cool van and wants to go hunting for ghosts, count me in. As long as we can stop at a couple of pubs along the way.

Nick Redfern's Website

Scooby Doo's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment